J S Bach’s Six Suites for Unaccompanied Cello are some of the most famous works for solo cello. They are studied and performed by cellists across the world, and have also been arranged for many other instruments, including the ukulele. While this collection is not the first ukulele arrangement of the suites, previous works have consisted only of one or two movements: this is the most complete arrangement to date, consisting of seventeen pieces from the renowned Cello Suites.
This collection is arranged for standard solo ukulele in re-entrant tuning (gCEA), and makes extensive use of campanella techniques, in which successive notes are played on separate strings, to achieve a bell-like quality and a fuller sound. The ukulele is particularly suited to this style of playing, which gives a fresh style to these famous pieces.
The arrangements presented here are all released under the Creative Commons Attribution licence, allowing you to freely share, adapt and perform the music without requiring payment or special permission. The book is available both in print and as an ebook, for which you can pay whatever you like (or nothing) – the content is identical in both formats.
Arrangements In This Book
- Cello Suite No 1 – Prelude, Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, Minuets 1 and 2, Gigue
- Cello Suite No 2 – Prelude, Allemande, Minuet 2, Gigue
- Cello Suite No 3 – Bourrées 1 and 2, Gigue
- Cello Suite No 4 – Bourrée 2, Gigue
- Cello Suite No 5 – Gavotte 2
- Cello Suite No 6 – Gavottes 1 and 2
- Bonus Arrangement: Prelude No 1 for Low-G Ukulele